Thursday 3 June 2010

Ben MacDhui, Carn a Mhaim, Devils Point, Cairn Toul, Angels Peak

12.7 miles, 1820m ascent, 10 hours

Having had a much better night's sleep the re-ascent to Loch Etchachan didn't feel too bad and we were at the summit of Ben Macdhui by 9am, although we weren't the first.  It was a very fine and soon to be hot, day.  Ben spotted a nest of speckled eggs on the descent to Carn a Mhaim where the fun really started. I elected to descend the steep gully leading directly to Corrour Bothy, but I hadn't reckoned on how awkward the pack would make it.  It wasn't too bad to start with, but at the steepening, the grass which had been flattened by the winter snows was bone dry which made it as slippy as ice.  I was aware of the danger and warned Ben who didn't seem to have any particular problems unlike me.  My pack threatened to topple me over at any moment and I knew that if I slipped I wouldn't be able to stop - it would like a long grass toboggan run.  This theory was soon put to the test as I slipped and started to accelerate.  I dug my fingernails, my heels, my elbows, anything in to the unyielding ground in a desperate attempt to stop.  It hurt a lot, but ultimately it proved successful and with a relieved sigh I ground to a halt.  From then on I moved even more cautiously until I reached the safety of the heather.  Once down I examined my scars - nothing too bad, just a red rash up my thighs and backside, but I felt a bit bruised and battered.  In the glen it was swelteringly hot so we stopped awhile in the shade of the bothy, before resuming the upward toil to the Devils Point.  Both of us suffered in the afternoon heat, but especially me under the weight of the sack.  I had a temporary reprieve on the out and back to the summit of Devils Point, but its was all too short.  I really don't like Cairn Toul and Angels Peak.  I can never seem to get into a rhythm on them and this day was no different, plus I was so, so tired.  I had been ill for the past three days with stomach cramps and hadn't been able to eat a lot, and this coupled with the lack of sleep and the heat was proving a potent mix.  So it was with some relief that we arrived at what was clearly an idyllic camping spot beside Lochan nam Stuirteag.


Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment