Saturday 13 August 2011

Beinn Dearg, Meall Ceapraichean, Cona Mheall, Am Faocagach

17 miles, 1630m ascent, 9 hours 30 mins

Another longish and breezy day, this time with heavy rain showers and a deadline to pick Alison and my Mum & Dad up from Garve Station. Once the initial slog up Beinn Dearg was over, Ben found the rest of the day quite reasonable.  This is wild country which I love and where you are unlikely to see anyone once you've left the usual Munro bagging routes.  I had forgotten my maap so I made a makeshift one in the bunkhouse, consisting of a sketch and rough compass bearings.  The cloud more or less lifted, however, so I didn't really need it.  The descent of Cona Mheall toward Am Faocagach is incredibly rough and majestic.  I had intended to cross the outlet of the lochan but it was clearly a no-go since a huge curtain of spray was being blown several metres in to the air as the wind funnelled up the valley.  We therefore went round the lochan and hurried up the hill to make sure we were on time for the pick-up.  In the end we had plenty of time and the river crossings proved innocuous.  Ben was almost disappointed as I'd built them up a bit.

Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment